Would you like to be physically fit? Of course, all of us like a healthy and physically fit body which can be achieved by running. Running a distance of five kilometers is not that difficult so long as you do enough training and preparation.
If you’ve ever thought of going for an outdoor running as an exercise, you must always have the need for timing yourself. This might bring you to the concern wanting to know how long it takes to run a particular distance, say five kilometers.
What is the average time you should take to cover 5 kilometers?
The time required to complete this distance varies with age, training experience and also sometimes gender. At a particular age say 30-35, you find that mostly the time taken by a male runner to complete a 5k run may be shorter than the time taken by a female to complete the same distance.
The less trained and fit you are, the more likely it is to take more time to complete the distance. Most people take between 20 to 45 minutes to complete the race depending on the level of fitness.
For an average adult going at an average speed, it takes approximately thirty-two minutes to complete the distance. This means that your pace has to be at an average speed of six meters per hour (6-mph).
If you are well trained and fit enough, you will take about twenty minutes to complete the distance. This is due to enough experience, your level of fitness and your intensity during the race. You can prepare for this in a relatively short period of two months. This is not difficult to achieve as long as you maintain consistency and put a lot of effort.
Tips on how to run a 5kilometer distance faster and successful
You may find yourself getting lazy or evening ignoring to run simply because you fear that you may take more time or get tired before finishing. You need not to worry about this, here are tips on how to run a 5 kilometer distance and even help you to hit your personal record.
- Add speedwork. For you to run faster, you have to work on your speed. Practice how to run fast. You should remember that sprinting may be hard on you when you are a beginner, so you need to make sure that you start with shorter sprints and work to the full of eighty meters.
- Incorporate training to strengthen your moves that target your calves, glutes, shines and core. Your speed won’t be increased by running alone. You need to work on your muscles to strengthen so as to increase your movement and make your actions more powerful. This is achieved by doing squats, step ups, bent over, lunges and calf raises.
- Do short up hills. To run uphill requires strength and endurance; therefore if you practice these on your training, you are likely to develop muscle power and speed. With jump exercises and hill sprints, your muscle flexibility will increase, and this will reduce the chances of you getting injuries.
- Proper footwear. Footwear is essential, and the running shoes must have flexible soles and low heels. The shoes should be able to bend and twist for your feet to be comfortable while running. This helps to avoid strain or chances of having blisters while running. The shoe size should also be the correct size and well fitting.
- Socks and clothes should be comfortable. The socks should be the ones that fit snugly and comfortable. Some socks brands for runners are made with high-tech fibers which prevent blisters through keeping the foot condition dry. Clothes should be loose fitting to allow for maximum movement.
Things to expect after completing a 5kilometer run
There are things you may experience after completion of a five-kilometer run. This mostly may be felt by a first timer. This should not worry you because they heal with time or even may not be felt at all when you do routine running. They include the following;
- Sore muscle pain may be felt. This is usually experienced by every runner. The pain is usually not that much, but it depends on whether you are used to running or not. This should not worry you because it diminishes with time.
- After the run, your leg may feel stiff as sticks. This is just caused by the fatigue muscles. All you need is just water or a snack containing protein and carbohydrates.
- You may sometimes feel backaches or stomach pains, but these are very temporal since after some time they completely diminish.
Benefits of running
Running is very important to your health, and if you do it frequently, you may experience some benefits which will make you put a smile on your face. Here are some of the benefits.
- Reduces high blood pressure
Running is known to be effective in lowering the risk of hypertension by a greater percentage. Running is an aerobic activity, and this helps to open up your veins thereby reducing high blood pressure.
- Creates better brain performance
Running is an exercise, and this contributes to raising heart functions hence increases the flow of oxygen-rich blood to all the various parts of the body, the brain being included. This increases brain performance.
- Better mood
Most runners have attested to this. Running will make you feel positive and boost your spirits if in any case you had a bad day.
- Strengthens your knees and bones
Running increases your bone mass. The studies have also shown that running improves the health of your knee.
Running is an essential exercise to your body. This shows the reason why you should take a five-kilometer run positively. If you train well, it won’t be a big deal to take a 5k run. The amount of time taken to run 5 kilometers distance may seem longer at the start, but with more practice it will just be a walk in the park.
I believe this article has been very helpful to you and you now have an idea on how many minutes an average person should take to run a 5 kilometer distance. Please share out this article with your friends and let them access this great information.