Running, walking and jogging all involve tendons. They work on principles of lifting, pushing and twisting of the body parts. Choosing the wrong pair of shoes and prolonged running will cause damage to your body tendons which will cause flare-ups while you run.
A common Tendon to be damaged in this case is Achilles. Having the best running shoes for Achilles Tendonitis will stop you from experiencing the condition.
WHAT IS ACHILLES TENDONITIS?
Achilles tendon is basically one of the largest and thickest muscles in your foot. It is located behind your leg to the lower part close to your heel. It provides a connection between the calves and the back of your heels.
It is responsible for providing the lift force you require while running. As you run faster, you will require more the power. The energy to stretch this tendon increases in such a way that it may become three times the weight of your body.
The more you run, therefore, the bigger the strain on the Achilles tendon causing Achilles Tendonitis, which is an injury to the Achilles tendon. It is common in men since men require a lot of energy when running than women. However, women who run faster will experience this injury as well. It accounts up to 5 to 12 percent of all athletic injuries.
It is a condition that begins with mild pains and increases if you come in contact with warm water or when it is compressed. It will even get worse if you run on low-heeled shoes or running with spiked shoes.
Without an immediate address, it may get sharper until it completely bars you from running even when running at a slower pace.
WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP OF YOUR FOOTWEAR AND ACHILLES TENDONITIS?
Having the right footwear will prevent Achilles Tendonitis from occurring. It is not about the training; it is about how your foot lands and takes off from the ground. For instance, if you have a good pair of shoes with a great bounce back then it means you will not experience any injury. This is because the tendon will have been supported in lifting the body.
To fully prevent Achilles Tendonitis from happening, you will have to know the right fitting of your shoe, the heel drop of the shoe, the right width and length, comfort and the correct arch of the foot.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT SHOES FOR RUNNING
What is your pronation?
The first solution of solving Achilles Tendonitis is finding the right size of your arch. You must find the right pair of shoes that fit your type of feet. We all have different types of feet. Finding the right one will ensure that you run smoothly and comfortably.
The shoe size
It is recommended as a runner that you should pick shoes with half size bigger than the average size of your shoe. Why is it so? It is important in giving your feet room to facilitate the necessary movements while you run.
Having small or constrained shoes will result to swellings and blisters after running. They also cause black toenails and forefoot wounds. And as a time keeping athlete, you would not wish to stay out of your favorite track nursing bruises and blisters. So choose the right shoe size.
Choose the ideal pair of shoes for the running you do
It all depends on the kind of running you do. If you are not a professional athlete just a casual runner, you will need simple shoes that will feel normal running in. For marathoners who run for long distances, having shoes with good rubber soles will be important. You should also consider the heel height to reduce chances of having Achilles Tendonitis.
If you are a beginner, you should consider having shoes that suit entry levels. Take note of the terrain and the duration of running. Choose your shoe type also based on your previous performances. Good shoes are chosen based on the functionality and comfort. Some people will choose based on the appearance which is still a perfect.
IMPORTANT FEATURES YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR TO KEEP YOU FROM EXPERIENCING ACHILLES TENDONITIS
1. Curvature at the sole of your feet
Your running shoes should curve at the same point you curve your feet. Normally your foot bends at its sole. Thus, your shoes should also bend just below the soles of your feet. If there is no synchronous bending of your feet and the shoes, there will be less support and comfort which may in turn trigger Achilles Tendonitis.
2. Your foot Arch type
There are four different types of foot arches. Normal, flat, high and very high. Feet with low arches or flat feet and those with high arches are normally linked to Achilles Tendonitis. It is important for people with flat feet you buy shoes with low arch supports whereas if you have high arched feet, you should consider buying shoes with insoles with arch supports.
3. Cushion at your heel
A nice pair of running shoes should provide enough and exact cushion. This will prevent your heel area from sinking lower than the front part a common situation that may trigger Achilles Tendonitis. The right cushioning will provide that bounce back feeling. It is important to note that too much cushion will cause fluffiness which may lead to straining of the Achilles tendon.
4. Heel Drop height
A good pair of running shoes that will prevent Achilles Tendonitis should have a heel height of at least 9mm.
Without much ado, here are our top reviews with detailed features, pros and cons to guide you through.
1. ASICS Men’s GEL- Cumulus 16 running Shoe
It is comfortable and lightweight, making it suitable for people who suffer from Achilles Tendonitis. It will make you want to be running all day. It is made with the mind of creating a sound, healthy and happy lifestyle.
This pair of shoes will make your running time perfect and free from any Achilles Tendonitis. With an acronym from the Latin word “Anima Sana in Corpore Sano” which means “A sound Mind for a Sound Body,” running on this pair of shoes will give a sound mind and a healthy time.
- Rubber sole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from Arch
- Open mesh for fit and comfort
- Full-length Gel cushioning system
- Guidance Line flex grooves
- It is made of synthetic rubber hence you are assured of durability.
- It is completely breathable and with reflective overlays that will give a customized fit.
- Has a fluid ride midsole and cushioning that will provide a smooth bounce back.
- To give you a smoother and a bouncing run is the guidance line flex grooves.
- No more Achilles Tendonitis, the gait enhancing impact guidance system will give your tendons a nice pickup impact that will reduce strain.
- The mesh on the outer upper may blow out for distant runners.
2. Saucony Originals Women’s Shadow 6000 sneaker
This will be perfect for evading Achilles Tendonitis. It has an ionic cushioning feature that is made up of molded triangular pillars located at the back of the midsole. This cushioning will provide extra cushioning for the heel strike phase of all the running strides. It is lightweight and weighs only 10.08 oz.
The synthetic-and-nylon upper part promotes breathability keeping your feet fresh and strong. This pair of shoes is meant to jumpstart your running routine without any difficulty. It is suitable for women with low arch feet.
- Nylon and synthetic
- Polyurethane midsole
- Triangular lug outsole
- The polyurethane midsole offers durability, support and cushioning great for preventing Achilles Tendonitis.
- The triangular lug outsole is great for multi-directional traction.
- The upper part is made of nylon which is good for breathability and enhancing overall comfort when running.
- The molded triangular pillars at the rear part of the midsole provide additional cushioning for the heel strike phase of each running stride.
- They might not be suitable for long distance running.
3. Men’s ZX Flux Originals Running Shoe
A descendant of the Iconic Zx 8000 running shoes, this pair of shoes is simple and modern with great features that will alleviate possibilities of experiencing Achilles Tendonitis. It is synthetic and with a rubber sole. Hence it will withstand the abrasion of the running track. It will add exceptional support to your feet for a mile after mile.
- Rubber sole
- Welded TPU 3-stripes
- TPU heel
- It will give your feet an exceptional support mile after mile.
- Its sole is made of rubber rendering it durable and long lasting.
- The breathability in this pair of shoes is amazing, thanks to the synthetic material cover.
- It has a TPU heel that counters echoes, the iconic ZX thousands series.
- The welded 3-stripes give this pair of shoes incredible comfort and support.
- The fit might too big for your feet causing discomfort.
4. Nike Women’s Zoom Vomero 9 running shoe
Crank up the speed with this amazing pair of shoes. It is newly updated and will perfectly suit your needs; it will give you a cool and super comfortable feeling from the time you let your stop-watch go to the time you finish your race. With a perfect heel drop, you will run without any Achilles Tendonitis.
- Rubber sole
- Cushioned midsole
- Heel and forefoot Nike Zoom units
- The dynamic fit technology that is achieved through fly-wire technology integrated with the laces will give you an adaptive and supportive fit.
- The full length cushioned midsole will offer you soft yet responsive cushioning. Hence protecting you from experiencing Achilles Tendonitis.
- The heel and the forefoot will add lightweight to the pair of shoes.
- The heel and the forefoot provide responsive cushioning at heel-strike and toe-off.
- This pair of shoes is breathable thanks to the meshed synthetic material.
- The rubber sole is less durable.
5. Adidas Men’s Vigor Bounce Running Shoes
This pair of shoes will add that confidence you need in a nasty condition. The rubber sole has a high grip that will work with winter tires. The aggressive grip will protect you from slipping. The bounce will be suitable for keeping your tendons in line preventing Achilles Tendonitis. The bounce will also keep you energized for the miles ahead.
It is meshed to provide a breathable environment for your feet. There are also protective overlays that will give you support and durability. The padded collar provides cushioning protecting your skin from being strained as you take strides when running. There is also supportive synthetic cage that is suitable for lockdown.
- Rubber sole
- Weighs 9.5 ounces
- Midsole of heel drop of 8.5
- It is breathable. It is made of air mesh at the top and on the sides.
- It has protective overlays that will offer you support and durability.
- It has a padded color for extra protection.
- Bounces back which is great for preventing Achilles Tendonitis.
- The bounce also provides energy and comfort when running.
- The size runs are very large.
Experiencing Achilles Tendonitis will be a great set back while running especially when on the track. Without a proper pair of shoes, your running time might frequently end up being nursing time.
But with the right pair of running shoes like ASICS Men’s GEL- Cumulus 16 running Shoe, it will enhance your running time while protecting you from having Achilles Tendonitis. Take note of the features and tips we provided, and you will have the best running sessions.