The Best Budget Full Suspension Mountain Bike for 2017
Now that spring is here, you may be bringing your mountain bike out for the first ride of the season. But after biking for a while, you realize that it’s time to trade your old bike in for a new one. You can find a good quality bike even on a budget though, and this investment should last you for years to come. We did the research for you and found the best budget full suspension mountain bike for 2017.
As you may know, a full suspension bicycle has both front and back suspension, making it different than bikes with only front suspension or no suspension at all. When making your next mountain bike purchase, here are some things to consider:
The thing that makes a full suspension bike so special is the frame. It’s lighter than other bikes, and is built so that you can bike over many surfaces without bouncing all over the place. It’s actually made from two pieces, a front triangle and a rear triangle. The 2 pieces can move a little, and the shock absorbers control the movement.
A rear shock on your bike can make a huge difference, especially when you’re going over rough terrain. Save your spine and buy a mountain bike with good shocks. Most bikes come with at least front shocks, but a really good mountain bike will come with both front and rear ones.
The forks are one of the most important parts of a mountain bike because they allow for better steering. On other types of bikes, the front forks may only allow for 80-120 mm of suspension travel, while the front fork on a suspension bike can give you up to 210 mm of travel (bikeradar.com/gear/article/mountain-bike-suspension-forks-a-buyers-guide-55/ paragraph ‘what to think about when buying a fork’). When a fork can move further, it will absorb impacts more easily.
When biking downhill, a rear suspension is essential for your comfort. Without one, you might feel every stick or rock that you go over. It gives additional traction, which will keep you from sliding. For more information on what to look for when purchasing a mountain bike, watch this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZnxkSryXYI
2017 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
This bike is a great choice, and has many sought-after features. Some pros of the Gravity FSX 1.0 include:
- Disc brakes in both the front and rear which work very well
- It has a light aluminum frame
- The shifters are made by Shimano, a trusted name in the biking industry
- The suspension is a rear coil, and is adjustable
- Good cost of about $330
The bike only has a few cons which are:
- The tires don’t seem to have that much tread on them
- Shocks aren’t the greatest, but are good for the price you pay for this bike
- It has a hard seat, but buying a gel seat cover is an easy fix
The Gravity FSX 1.0 has excellent value for the money, costing only about $330. It is nicely built and is solid and strong. The brakes work well and the shocks do their job.
Diamondback Recoil 29er Mountain Bike
This is another good full suspension bike, and here are some of the pros:
- It comes with both front and rear derailleurs
- The tires have a Kevlar belt, to really protect you against punctures.
- It has a light, aluminum full suspension frame
- Whole bike is strong and durable
- The rear suspension is 4 inches long
- It has large, 29 inch tires
A couple of the cons are:
- This bike is more expensive than the others, ringing in at about $600
- There’s not much room on the frame to hold a water bottle
2017 Gravity FSX 2.0 Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
Another 2017 bike made by Gravity, this one is about the same price as the first and has some similar pros. It differs from the FSX 1.0 because of its adjustable fork.
- Front and back adjustable suspension
- Both tires are quick release
- It’s a good, strong bike
- Equipped with Shimano drivetrain
- The front shock is adjustable
- Costs about $400
It does have a few cons though, including:
- This is a heavy bike
- Some of the parts like the forks and cable may not work very well
- The paint may scratch easily
RD100 Cyrusher Full Suspension Frame Mountain Bike
This bike is a little pricier than some others on our list, but comes with more features. Some of the pros are:
- It comes with a 1 year warranty, so you can buy with confidence
- It has a 24 speed system by Shimano
- Light aluminum frame
- Disc brakes on both front and rear
- Sleek looking and rides well
Just a couple cons to mention:
- The rear shock could use some work
- The cost is over $600, making it a little pricey for somebody on a budget
27.5” Mongoose Ledge 2.1
This is the least expensive bike on our list, but still has many great features, including:
- Easy to use twist shifters
- Light aluminum frame
- Liner pull brakes in the front and back
- Low cost at about $150
- Shimano rear derailleur
However, there are a few cons:
- Only 21 gears
- The grips are pretty short and you may shift gears by mistake
- No disc brakes, and they may get squeaky due to the painted rims
- Tires aren’t the best quality, but you can always replace them if needed
Based on our research, the best budget full suspension mountain bike for 2017 is the 2017 Gravity FSX 2.0 Dual Suspension Mountain Bike. It has a good solid frame, front and rear adjustable suspension, and dependable, adjustable shocks. The disc brakes are superior to pull line brakes, and it comes with Shimano parts. This bike has excellent value for the money and can fit into most budgets.