BEST BIKE FOR THE MONEY - TOP PICKS OF THE YEAR 2017
Have you been dreaming about commuting to work in a more eco-friendly way, saving on fuel costs and staying physically fit? It’s high time you got a bike! Getting the best bike can be a little challenging. Are you on a tight budget and you’re looking to get yourself a badass bike? This eye-opening article will direct and definitely assist you in making the best and affordable choice.
You Want to Choose Best Bike? - Things to Consider
Why do you need a bike?
Choosing the best bike depends on your definition of “best”. When you select the right bike that absolutely meets your ultimate biking needs, it turns out to be your best. This is why you need to ask yourself what you need a bike for and the terrain you intend to ride often before deciding on the type of bike you want.
Types of Bikes
There are many different types of bikes. They are all good choices with their own benefits and drawbacks. For instance, a fat bike may be ideal for riding on the sand, snow and mucky terrains but it may be a little slower while a racing bike may be ideal for road racing and not for riding most difficult terrains. When selecting a bike, always go for the type that best suits your riding style, purpose and the terrains you intend to ride on.
Bike Components and Features
Bike features and components such as the gears, brakes, suspension, tires etc. will definitely affect its overall performance.
Gears: Most modern bikes now come with 18, 21, 24, 27 or 30 gears. Again, You have to consider your level of fitness and the terrain you plan to ride on before deciding on the number of gears that suits you best. More numbers of gears may be ideal for those who find climbing challenging or need to ride lots of hills while lower gears may be ideal for strong cyclists or for riding only on flat terrains.
Wheel size: Bikes wheel sizes vary between 26-inch to 29-inch. The ideal wheel size for you depends on your size and preferences. Consider opting for larger wheels if you have a taller body stature (700c wheels especially if you’re above 6 ft.). Do you need more information to help you in selecting the best wheel size? See 27.5” vs. 29er: Which Mountain Bike is Right for Me?
Suspension: Bike suspension can make pedaling less efficient and affects the price of the bikes but a smooth riding and a great deal of comfortability it offers is well worth the money. Suspensions are found exclusively on mountain and hybrid bikes. They drastically reduce the impact of rough trails on the rider, improve traction and makes riding more enjoyable.
Brakes: There are many varieties of brakes ranging from rim brakes, disc brakes, coaster brakes to drum brakes. They are all great choices even though they all come with their advantages and disadvantages. Whichever bike you choose, go for the ones with sturdy brakes that will provide you an efficient stop for an effective control and safety during emergencies.
Frame Materials: Most bikes are made from aluminum, however, carbon fiber and steel frames are also common. Each frame materials have its own pros and cons, so you have to put this into consideration before deciding on one. For instance, carbon fiber frames are stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum frames but are more expensive than both. You, therefore, need to understand bike frame materials before deciding on one.
Handlebar: Before selecting a bike, look and compare the level of its seat and handlebars. In a general sense, the father the bike’s handlebar is above the seat, the more comfortable it is to ride. This also affects the pedaling power and the overall speed you can attain with the bike. Read the handlebar selection theory to help you in choosing the bike with the handlebar that suits you best.
Select the Bike That Fits
Bikes are available in varieties of frame and wheel sizes; therefore you will have to get the right bike that fit your size. Getting on as many bikes as you can is a great way of discovering the best size for you. While test riding a bike, make sure you look at its other exciting features as this will help you in selecting the best.
Does price matters? Of course, it does! You definitely don’t want to hemorrhage your bank account before you get yourself the best bike. Of course the best do come at a price, however, there are some low-end bikes that may provide you all you are looking for in a bike. Either cheap or expensive, make sure you select the best bike that suits your biking needs and riding styles and definitely make you feel like a boss!
The Benefits and the Best Way to Use a Bike.
Yes! Riding can be fun as hell! But you have to follow the right biking precautions in order to enjoy your riding experience and avoid accidents. Clean and maintain your bike so it doesn’t lose its functionality and value. If you select bikes with suspension, you may need to adjust your suspension to suit your body weight and riding style. In case you are riding a long distance, pack a portable pump, tire levers and spare tube that can help you fix any problem that arises in your way. Read the tips for better cycling and the following cycling tips to transform your biking life.
Riding a bike sure comes with a lot of benefits. The health, economic, environmental, and commuting benefits, as well as the feelings that come with riding a bike, are well worth the money.
Using price as the main factor, we have put together the best bikes with high-quality components for you, they are:
Best Bike Under 200
- Merax 26-inch bike features a durable 19-inch steel frame, 26-inch aluminum wheels with 1.75-inches wear resistant and anti-slip tires which provide a good traction.
- The 4*250*1.4T seat post and the dual suspension with lockout are another excellent features that provide comfort to take the edge off rocks, logs, mud, and roots present on the trail. The lockout is an amazing feature that allows you to disable its suspension making it ideal for climbing and racing.
- The front and rear aluminum mechanical disc brakes provide a safe stop and control during emergencies, in all kinds of weather.
- The front and rear Shimano derailleur and Shimano shifter provide a smooth and reliable shift through its 21-speed gears to choose any speed to finish your journey.
- Sleek and attractive design.
- It offers a smooth ride.
- It is an excellent full suspension bike for its price.
- It comes 85% pre-assembled reducing the time and stress of assemblage.
- It has a lockout feature to disable the suspension
- Good shock absorption for rugged terrains.
- Powerful and effective mechanical disc brakes.
- The front suspension is not adjustable.
- It is heavy.
- A few complaints about its pedals
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGaiViQ6dQ to watch.
- Genesis Men’s GS29 Mountain Bike feature a durable 26-inch stout aluminum hardtail frame and handlebar which gives this bike its lightweight characteristics.
- It is equipped with 29-inch aluminum wheels and anti slip tires for smooth performance and traction.
- Another nice feature is the supple front suspension system that provides a great shock absorbing ability and higher performance on rugged terrains.
- It is equipped with front and rear linear pull brakes that facilitate control and efficient stoppage to promote safety.
- The tried and tested Shimano 21-speed drivetrain with Revo twist shifting provide a smooth and accurate shifting for easy gearing.
- It also features an adjustable seat which provides a lot of comfort to its users.
- They are available in different colors.
- The front suspension fork worked perfectly.
- The frame is durable and sturdily constructed.
- It is easy to assemble. It comes preassembled, new users will even find it easy to set up.
- It has a good braking system; this provides a powerful stoppage and control.
- The bike is light in weight.
- You may have to change some of its parts in order to enjoy this bike.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjsY0qG-Ik to watch.
- The Schwinn Sidewinder feature a steel frame and 26-inch aluminum alloy wheels, this made it rust-resistant and long lasting.
- The knobbier tires featured on this bike provides an excellent traction; this makes it suitable for all kinds of terrains.
- Another nice feature is the full Suntour suspension fork that offers controlled and safe riding on rugged terrains.
- It is equipped with front and rear alloy linear pull brakes which provide control and efficient stoppage to promote safety.
- It is equipped with 21-speed and high-quality Shimano Revo shifters; this provides a perfect shifting and a good speed for perfect climbing.
- Other features include an adjustable seat for easy height adjustment, steel handlebar, and standard pedals.
- It comes 80% pre-assembled, an easy assemblage is guaranteed.
- The adjustable saddle and front suspension fork provide good comfort on bumpy trails.
- The powerful linear-pull brakes are effective.
- The bike is sturdily and beautifully constructed.
- It is affordable and comes with a good warranty.
- It is ideal for women.
- A few complaints about the hard seat post.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqzmoMWxfs to watch.
Best Bike Under 300
- The Vilano Blackjack 3.0 Mountain Bike features a light and durable 6061 aluminum alloy hardtail frame, 29-inch double wall aluminum wheels with 2.1-inch tires that easily rolls over obstacles.
- It comes with 80mm travel suspension fork, I like this feature as it provides comfort to take the edge off rocks, logs, mud, and roots present on the trail.
- The front and rear mechanical disc brakes provide a good and safe stop and for control during emergencies, in all kinds of weather.
- The front and rear Shimano derailleur and (EF-51 Integrated) Shimano shifter provide a perfect and reliable shift through its 24-speed gears for a perfect gearing.
- It has great frame geometry.
- It is easy to assemble.
- The large 29-inch wheels offer a smooth ride.
- It is an excellent bike for its price.
- It has large diameter seat post.
- Good shock absorption for rugged terrains.
- Good for intermediate and beginners.
- You may have to adjust or replace the brakes.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueB5r6_5T4 to watch.
- The Nashbar AT2 Mountain Bike feature a rugged construction with a light but durable aluminum alloy frame, and strong (double wall) 26-inch aluminum wheels with 2.1-inch reliable tires which offer a lot of traction and an enjoyable ride.
- Another interesting feature is the Suntour suspension fork with 80mm of travel which prevents discomfort associated with trail irregularities.
- It is equipped with front and rear (160mm rotor) mechanical disc brakes. This provides a good and safe stop for an effective control during emergencies, in all kinds of weather.
- This bike also features a reliable 24-speed drivetrain supported by Shimano Altus and Acera front and rear derailleurs and Shimano EZ-Fire shifters. This provides a wide range of speed to choose from to complete your journey and provide you the enjoyable ride you deserve.
- It is available in different sizes (17, 19, and 21 inches).
- Other features includes steel handlebar and 27.2mm alloy Seatpost,
- It offers a great deal of durability.
- The 26-inch tires offer a smooth ride.
- It is an excellent and affordable bike.
- Intuitive assembly.
- The tires provide good traction.
- Good shock absorption for rugged terrains.
- You may need to replace the pedals, seat, and grips for you to enjoy this bike.
- The assembling instructions are not provided.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGnj_31Hyw to watch.
- This bike features a heat treated 6061 19-inch aluminum frame that gives it its durability and lightweight characteristic.
- The bike comes with 26-inch magnesium alloy wheels. This badass feature contributes to the bike’s lightweight characteristics.
- It is equipped with an 80mm aluminum suspension fork with a mechanical lockout feature. This is amazing as it softens the ride and keeps the front wheel on the ground for perfect handling, smooth movement, and hill climbing.
- Another aspect is the 21-speed shifter and its high-quality Shimano components. This makes the bike move faster and also offers a smooth and reliable shifting.
- It also features front and rear mechanical brakes that facilitate control while riding, aluminum brake levers, seatpost, pedals, handlebars, and crank for sleek and comfortable rides.
- An affordable bike that offers a smooth ride
- Sleek and beautiful designs, available in different colors
- Comes 85% pre-assembled, you’ll only have to install the handlebar, pedals, front wheel and inflate the tires.
- Efficient disc brakes
- Impressive gearing system
- The wheels does require no truing
- Brakes might need a little bit of adjustment
- The water bottle holder looks cheap
Click on https://youtu.be/7jLN5lbYE70 to watch this video.
Best Bike Under 500
- The 2017 Gravity FSX 1.0 features feature a durable hydroformed aluminum frame and 26-inch aluminum (double wall alloy) wheels which contributed to its lightweight properties. It is also equipped with 2.1-inch multithread tires for smooth and better traction.
- Another aspect is the full suspension system. This badass feature provides a good shock absorbing ability and better performance on rugged trails.
- It comes with front and rear Tektro Novela disc brakes that are efficient enough to facilitate control and provide a good stop to promote safety.
- It is equipped with 24-speed and high-quality Shimano components; this provides a good speed for perfect climbing.
- They are available in different colors and sizes from 15 to 21 inches.
- It comes 85% pre-assembled, reducing the stress of assembling it.
- The adjustable saddle and dual suspension provide good comfort to its users.
- It has powerful mechanical brakes that provide an effective stoppage.
- It is light in weight.
- It is affordable.
- It has a small seat; bigger riders may find this uncomfortable.
- Some features may require adjustments and improvements to make most of this bike.
- Poor warranty.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESLXJTIpvr4&feature=youtu.be to watch the video.
- This bike features a hand built 6061-T6 heat treated aluminum alloy frame render lightweight and durability to the bike.
- It comes with rare dropouts that are forged and with a derailleur hanger that is replaceable. These amazing features reduces the chance of getting something broken
- Included are wheels with 27.5-inch diameter which offers the opportunity of rolling over obstacles comfortably
- This bike uses linear pull brakes and also comes with a reliable Trail XC suspension. This feature provides a safe stop, better control, and comfortable ride.
- It is equipped with quality Shimano components which offer a reliable shift through its 21-speed gears for a faster and swift movement
- It also feature a wide and adjustable saddle, this provide more support and comfort to the users
- It is available in 15 and 17 -inch
- Enjoyable and smooth ride are achievable, even on bumpy trails
- It has easy assembling step
- Wider saddle and the suspension provides a lot of comforts while riding
- It has a lightweight, thanks to its aluminum framing
- Good off-road handling
- It is a good value for the money
- It has no kickstand.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFmWitMzIM to watch the video.
- The Altruism X9 features a 17-inch foldable frame made of aluminum and steel materials. This stunning feature makes it easy for storage and transportation.
- It comes with SHIMANO TX30 Front and SHIMANO TZ50 Rear Derailleurs equipped with 21-speed gears for a faster and swift movement.
- Included are 26-inch magnesium alloy wheels with multithread tires for an excellent traction.
- Another aspect is the full suspension feature on this bike. This mouth-watering feature provides a better comfort to take the edge off mud, rocks, logs, and roots you may find on your trail.
- This bike also comes with alloy disc brakes that offer a safe stop, better control, and comfortable ride.
- Other features include aluminum pedals, varieties of colors to choose from and a professional MTB saddle.
- Enjoyable and smooth ride are achievable, even on bumpy roads
- It comes 85% pre-assembled, facilitating an easy assembling.
- Badass foldable feature
- Good looking, beautifully designed
- Ideal for young learners
- It is a good value for the money
- Some complaints about its defective parts.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOYGdLI47S4 to watch.
Best Bike Under 1000
- The Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike features a hand built 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame and butted, custom formed tubes that give it its light and durable characteristics.
- It comes with rare forged dropouts and a derailleur hanger that is can be replaced. These features reduces the possibility of breakages
- This bike also comes with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and SR Suntour suspension fork for a safe stop, better control, and comfortable ride.
- It is equipped with larger diameter (29 inches) wheels which comfortably roll over bigger holes and obstacles.
- It comes with a lockout feature to disable the suspension and also offers 27-speed shifting options for a faster and swift movement
- They are available in different sizes (16, 18, 20, and 22 inches).
- Enjoyable and smooth ride, even on bumpy roads, thanks to its 29-inch wheels
- It can be easily assembled
- It is versatile and durable
- Lockout feature when suspension is not needed
- Good off-road handling
- It offers just a single color option
- Considered expensive for a beginner
Watch this video: https://youtu.be/SqVSky8eaAE
- Alton Mammoth 2.0 features a 26-inch by 19.5-inch steel fork and an alloy frame with large tires that provides serious trails usage.
- It is equipped with a rear and front Shimano derailleurs and Shimano shifter that ensure a smooth shifting performance through its 27- speed gears.
- Another amazing feature is the badass 4-inch knobby tires that are specially designed to take on any kinds of terrain.
- This fat monster is also equipped with Promax disc brakes for smoother stops and effective control.
- It is also available in two different sizes (18 and 19.5-inches).
- Its alloy frame is strong enough to hold up any user no matter their weights and sizes.
- Its alloy frame offers a great deal of durability.
- It has enough gears and shifts easily to allow a better speed control when riding on difficult terrains.
- The tires are large and wide, a badass feature that enhances traction.
- The seat can be adjusted to meet your specific needs.
- The Promax disc brake is effective.
- Some users found the seat uncomfortable.
- The frame may be too small for taller riders.
- This bike is a bit heavy.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fk_h0DsL40 to watch the video.
- The Cyrusher FR100 features a 100% aluminum alloy frame which contributes to its lightness and durability.
- This monster also features a foldable aluminum frame and 26-inch magnesium alloy wheels with 1.95-inch wear resistant and anti-slip Chaoyang tires that provide an excellent traction. The sleek and ergonomic foldable frame facilitates storage and transportation.
- Another exciting feature is the outstanding front and rear suspension with adjustable seat for comfort and excellent shock absorption.
- It comes with front and rear disc brakes which are powerful enough to provide you a good and safe stop.
- It also comes with 24-speed gear transmission system (Shimano derailleur) which provides a smooth shift to choose any speed you want to complete your journey.
- It has a beautiful and stylish design.
- It is light and durable.
- It is foldable, making it easy for packing, storage, and transportation.
- It has a great shock absorption and adjustable seat for comfort on rugged trails.
- It has a powerful braking system; this provides an efficient stoppage and control.
- It comes 90% pre-assembled and therefore not difficult to assemble.
- Some users wished the saddle is more comfortable and not narrowed.
- It looks bulky when folded.
Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAwGzIdCWc to watch.
Above are the best and high-quality bikes. They are all great choices. If you are, however, looking to get yourself a badass bike at a real affordable price, look no further than the Merax Finiss 26-inch Mg Alloy Wheel Mountain Bike. Considering its ergonomic and beautiful design that is made up of a perfect frame material with one of a kind alloy wheels, excellent brakes, reliable suspension and an amazing lockout feature which promises a lot of fun and versatility, you would agree that this is the best bike for the money!